We have a very unique opportunity for an experienced Controller with an understanding of commodities markets. Our client, specializes in physical commodity trading within the biodiesel industry. They currently operate with multiple companies across the nation to coordinate the purchasing, transporting, and selling of byproducts of the agricultural sector. Our client provides trading, product stewardship, logistics and risk management services to customers. This is a growing, entrepreneurial company that offers a challenging environment but also some degree of remote work and schedule flexibility, in a stable industry.
Reporting to the President of this privately-owned business, you will be responsible for day to day accounting functions; monthly closing; financial statement preparation; budgeting and forecasting; and analysis of key financial and operational results for the company. The position will work closely with the President and the entire company leadership team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct an overall review and risk assessment of policies and procedures. Determine and prioritize needed changes, improvements and internal control concerns.
- Ensure timely and accurate financial statements. Revise and update the Chart of Accounts as needed. Also, improve and reformat P&L reporting by individual trader.
- Create a system policy for credit approval and vendor terms.
- Provide hands-on accounting leadership for the general accounting function, including month-end close, account analysis, and reporting. This includes evaluating, training and developing exiting staff of four, as needed.
- Perform financial and operational analysis on the business (budgeting, forecasting, planning and cost accounting/pricing).
- Communicate financial and operational results regularly to company leadership team.
- Evaluate HR related policies and procedures for effectiveness and compliance.
- Responsible for Capital Expenditures, and Cash Management.
- BS Degree in Accounting/Finance: CPApreferred
- 5- 10 years progressive accounting and leadership experience, including public accounting experience, would be ideal.
- Systems experience and advanced Excel skills.
- Self-directed individual that will be able to initially assess: current accounting functions; systems; internal controls; financialreporting accuracy; and determine necessary changes for future growth.